In educating about Naturopathic Medicine, I think it is important to understand the philosophy in which a Naturopathic Doctor works. The six principals are as follows:
- Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae)- Naturopathic medicine recognizes the body's inherent ability to heal itself. Naturopathic Doctors work to identify and remove the obstacles to recovery and replace and replenish needed vitamins or minerals for healing.
- Identify and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causam)- Naturopathic Doctors are committed to identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness rather than to eliminate or cover symptoms.
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)- Naturopathic medicine utilizes methods and natural substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Doctor and Teacher (Docere)- Naturopathic doctors encourage their clients to take control of their health.
- Treat the Whole Person- Naturopathic doctors take into account physical, mental, emotional, environmental and genetic factors when assessing overall health.
- Prevention-Naturopathic doctors believe that prevention is the best medicine.
Alison Finger, ND